Some of the best memories I have of Athens ended at 2am, legs stretched out in the booth of one of Athens’ restaurants mulling over the meaning of life. So if you find yourself dying of thirst after a late show or looking for some pre-show grub, check out our list of best Athens eateries and bars.
– The Grill – So there’s no way I could talk about late night eateries and NOT mention The Grill. A staple and one of the most quintessential restaurants in Athens, The Grill will quench your thirst for milkshakes and fill your stomach with the best fries and feta dip in the world.
– Georgia Theatre Rooftop Bar – Little did you know, GATH is a one-stop-shop for nightlife. Their rooftop bar lets you start out your night with some local brewskies and a full stomach too. Grab some Creature Comforts and a burger while you’re up there. Who knows – you might even catch the band members hanging out before the show!
– Blue Sky – No bar in Athens has a better late night atmosphere than Blue Sky. For when you’re ready to relax and get into deep conversation with good company, go to Blue Sky around 10pm in the summer. Bonus is the fact that they let you bring your own records in every Wednesday night for their Blue Sky Vinyl Night.
– Trappeze – You could spend thirty minutes just looking at their beer menu. And, cheesecake. They have cheesecake. Head on over to their sistah Highwire for even MORE drinks to choose from (I know, I didn’t think it was possible either).
– The Globe – Just thinking about it, I feel cozier. The dimly lit pub hosts an array of seating options from couches to booths to biiiiig tables to the always hoppin’ bar, so it’s basically perfect for everything. If you like blue cheese then… Hello, I am Globe Chips. Kettle potato chips made in-house covered in a divine blue cheese sauce that you will dream about later.
– Walker’s Pub Coffee – Walker’s this year has become my go to for almost every situations. Friends from out of town want a cool bar? Walker’s. Need to study late and don’t wanna be on campus? Walker’s. Got a hankering for Keoke coffee and bagels? Walker’s. Wanna run into people you know every day? If you go there as much as I do- Walker’s.
– Copper Creek Brewery – Copper Creek holds a special place in my heart because their 55 cent wing night has been a part of my week for almost 2 years now. It’s almost always packed with wayyyy too many people sitting at the bar, but the wait is worth it. Go on a Thursday to get wings and beer for a price that will make you feel better about spending $25 on those Alabama Shakes tickets.
– Waffle House – This is the natural grand finale. As cheesy as it sounds, no night would truly be complete without ending at Wa-Ho, stuffing your face with an All-Star breakfast as 6 of your friends try to cram themselves into a 2-person booth. Go at 3 in the morning after the rest of Athens is ready for sleep for the best memories of your life. And hey, we just got one of these downtown so it’s an exciting thing.
~Post by Rabekah Hansen